Bringing more than four decades of experience to his practice, Dan helps clients resolve a broad array of issues and problems, serving community banks, commercial real estate professionals and top executives. In all matters, Dan puts his clients’ needs first and marshals all resources necessary to address their problems and further their business objectives in practical and effective ways.
Dan provides counsel to a substantial number of community banks throughout the Southeast on matters concerning strategic planning, organization and formation, mergers and acquisitions, employment issues, asset sales, capital procurement (both debt and equity), special-purpose subsidiary and affiliate formation, commercial lending and governance.
Dan also practices extensively in commercial real estate and routinely handles purchases and sales, commercial leasing matters, development and financing. Dan’s commercial real estate practice involves multiple product types, including retail, industrial, office, multi-family, hospitality, golf course communities and private utility companies.
A seasoned consigliere with a diverse network of connections and enduring relationships over the years, Dan maintains a broad-based business practice and regularly provides guidance to chief executives, senior management, directors and other decision-makers of regulated and unregulated operating companies. Many of these clients ask and expect Dan to hold them accountable for their decisions, and he does that with candor and honesty.
Dan enjoys engaging in wide-ranging conversations, hearing clients’ concerns, and identifying which issues are not worth worrying about and which ones require further action. In Dan’s view, business decisions are inextricably intertwined with legal considerations and consequences. He’s gratified to help company leaders find optimal ways to identify, address and resolve their issues so they can do what they do best: successfully manage their businesses.
Dan’s family comes first. He and his wife have three adult daughters, and they and their spouses and seven grandchildren all live within five minutes of them in Atlanta. He also plays golf and enjoys spending time at the family’s retreat at Lake Oconee.
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Sections on: Business; Real Property Law)
- Past Chair, Bank Counsel Board, Georgia Bankers Association
- Associate Member, Community Bankers Association of Georgia
- Member, Board of Editors, Mercer Law Review (1981-1982)
- Eleventh Circuit Rules Bank Not a “Debt Collector” Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Georgia Supreme Court Decides Applicability of Business Judgment Rule to Bank Director and Officer Decision Making
- Author: “Note, Taxpayers Stripped of Clothing Deductions by an Objective Standard,” 32 Mercer Law Review 1321, reprinted in 31 Monthly Digest of Tax Articles, January, 1982