Focusing his practice on all aspects of estate planning, Will Thompson helps companies, families and individuals protect their assets today and in the future. By crafting practical and sometimes creative solutions, Will guides clients in navigating the taxation environment and helps them with designing and implementing sound succession plans. He also provides counsel in the formation of non-profits and the creation, structuring, purchase and sale of corporate entities.
Will’s clients include a wide range of organizations, including the Georgia Forestry Association and several companies connected to the state’s timber industry. His own family runs a successful, generational business, and Will previously participated in many of the legal processes that he now ushers clients through, including succession planning. He finds it gratifying to help owners communicate with their families and employees about their long-term plans, goals and objectives.
Clients benefit from his deep understanding of the complex and ever-changing taxation area. After receiving his law degree from Mercer University, Will continued his education at the University of Florida Levin College of Law, where he earned his LL.M. in Taxation. He credits the latter degree with “supercharging” his knowledge of the tax laws early in his legal practice.
With strong people skills and a dedication to staying connected and responsive, Will helps families with complex dynamics reach solutions that preserve relationships and transfer wealth in a sensible way. He likes to add value for clients by becoming integrated into their inner circles, familiarizing himself with all aspects of their businesses or families, and providing highly informed and tailored recommendations based on the insights he gains. His approach enables them to steward their resources responsibly, protect themselves from eventual liability, and create successful futures while maintaining peace of mind. Will looks forward to helping people in this manner for decades to come.
Will and his wife Amelia have three young children, and they enjoy doing activities together as a family. They are very involved in their church and are grateful for that community. In addition, Will loves to play golf, hunt and fish and follow University of Georgia football program.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Macon Bar Association
- Emerging Leaders in Forestry
- Georgia Forestry Association, Board, Chairmen Elect
- National Wild Turkey Federation, Board Member
- Ingleside Baptist Church, Past Chairmen
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Order of the Greek Horsemen, President, 2004
- Christian Legal Society, President, 2008
- Tax Law Society, President, 2008
- Ducks Unlimited
- Central Georgia Autism, LTD, Board
- Macon Estate Planning Council
- Planning is Everything
- Will Thompson presents at the Annual Conference and Forestry Expo
- Will Thompson presents at the Georgia Bankers Association Rural Development & Lending Conference
- Will Thompson, UGA AG Forecast Seminar Keynote Speaker for College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
- IC-Disc May Provide Substantial Tax Savings To Your Timber Business
- Passing forestland to the next generation should be part of a broader estate plan that considers evolving tax laws, gifts, and life after you’re gone.
- Georgia Farm Bureau Magazine
- Georgia Farm Bureau Gordon County Presentation
- Georgia Pecan Growers Presentation on IC-DISCs
- Georgia Farm Bureau Young Farmers Legacy Panelist
- Gavel to Gavel Newsletter
- Farm Bureau Presentation on Estate Planning
- Georgia Forestry Today