With more than four decades of diverse legal experience, litigator and business lawyer Greg Sowell helps clients resolve issues and pursue opportunities. Clients rely on his knowledge in an array of areas, including local government law, business law, commercial litigation, general litigation and eminent domain and real estate.
Greg frequently provides general counsel advice and litigation defense and other trial services in both state and federal courts to several local and state governments. Public agencies turn to him to represent them in a wide variety of matters, including torts, personal injury, wrongful death, contracts, property damage, employment and personnel, constitutional rights violations and environmental concerns.
A legal advisor with a keen business sense, Greg counsels organizations on issues and disputes that arise in commercial real estate, purchases and sales, business formations, dissolutions and transfers. He also has gained a reputation for his ability in guiding closely held corporations and LLCs through transitions where co-owners need to part company, helping them forge a sensible path forward that preserves relationships and keeps the companies running smoothly. Whether his audience comprises clients, colleagues, judges or juries, Greg makes strong connections with people and ensures they understand his meaning by communicating with clarity and precision.
Outside of his practice, Greg served on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia and has served on that organization’s Disciplinary Board, by appointment of the Georgia Supreme Court. He has also served as President of the Western Circuit (Athens-Clarke and Oconee counties) Bar Association. He continues his position as editor of Calendar Call, the publication of the General Practice and Trial Section of the State Bar. In addition, Greg previously taught at the University of Georgia Law School and has subsequently been invited a number of times to guest lecture there. He is also an instructor in local government at UGA’s Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
Greg’s demonstrated legal ability together with his reputation for honesty, integrity and character have earned him a Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV rating, the highest confidential peer ranking for legal ability and ethical standards. He is also included in the list of Georgia Super Lawyers, which is limited to the top 5% of practitioners in the state. Greg considers practicing law to be his calling and the best way he can fulfill his lifelong goal of helping people.
Greg is a lifelong fan of Bulldogs football at his alma mater, the University of Georgia, and also follows the Atlanta Braves. Greg and his wife, Leah, enjoy spending all the time they can with their three children and six grandchildren.
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Bar Association
- Former Member of Board of Governors of State Bar of Georgia
- Former Vice Chair and Chair of the Member Benefits Committee
- Former Member of the Disciplinary Board of the State Bar of Georgia
- Past President, Tifton Bar Association
- Past President, Western Circuit Bar Association (Athens-Clarke and Oconee Judicial Circuit)
- Editor of Calendar Call – publication of the General Practice and Trial Section of the State Bar of Georgia
- Past President, UGA Law School Association
- Former Member of the Executive Committee of the UGA Alumni Association
- Fellow, Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia
- President, Blue Key
- President, Business School Council
- President, Gridiron
- UGA Orientation Leader
- Adjunct Professor in Business Law at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural Collage (ABAC) for 20 years
- Member of Athens Rotary Club; Former Member of Board of Directors
- Active in numerous teaching and leadership roles in his local church for over 40 years
- Former Member, Board of Directors of Mercy Health Care
- Former Member, Board of Directors of Bethel Haven
- Athens Touchdown Club
- Former President, Tifton Rotary Club
- Approved Agent for First American Title Insurance Company
- Approved Agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company