For over 31 years, J. William Boone has devoted his law practice on bankruptcy and restructuring related matters, including representation of debtors, unsecured creditors, financial institutions, trustees and indentured trustees, and mediation in connection therewith, in all aspects of significant domestic and international bankruptcy, workouts and reorganizations, including complicated litigation. He has substantial experience assisting both national and international clients in acquiring assets and operating businesses from bankruptcy estates. Mr. Boone is admitted to practice in Georgia, New York, and the District of Columbia.
- Atlanta Bar Association, Former Member of Board of Directors and Chair of Bankruptcy Section
- International Insolvency Institute, Member of Board of Directors and Founding member
- American Bar Association, Business Bankruptcy Section, Co-Chair of Joint Task Force on Corporate Governance
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
Awards + Recognitions
- Recognized in the top 1% as the "Best of the Best!" by America's Most Honored Professionals
- Fellow of American College of Bankruptcy
- Selected The Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Awarded Top 10 Bankruptcy Attorney in Georgia by the National Academy for Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Delegate to UNCITRAL on Insolvency Issues
- Selected Super Lawyer in Georgia
- Laureate of Smithsonian Institute for Innovation in Law
- Top Rated Lawyer, American Lawyer Media
- AV® Preeminent ™ rated attorney with Martindale Hubbell for Twenty Years
- Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights, Georgia Trend
- Leading Insolvency/Restructuring Lawyer, Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers
- Selected to the Guide to the World's Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Law, International Legal Market's Leading Guide to the Top Legal Practitioners Advising on Banking, Finance and Transactional Law
- Rated by Atlanta Magazine as One of the Top Attorneys in Georgia
- Rated by Super Lawyers® as Top Bankruptcy Attorney in Atlanta, GA
Presentations + Publications
- Boone, J. William, General Editor of International Insolvency: Insolvency and Directors’ Duties. Fifth ed. London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited. The European Lawyer Reference Series, 2016. 385-409. Print.
- Boone, J. William, General Editor of International Insolvency: Group Insolvency and Directors’ Duties. Fourth ed. London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited. The European Lawyer Reference Series, 2015. 535-61. Print.
- Boone, J. William and Doroteya N. Wozniak. "United States." Debt Restructuring: An Alternative to Insolvency Proceedings. First ed. London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited. The European Lawyer Reference Series, 2014. 343-63. Print.
- Boone, J. William, General Editor of International Insolvency: Jurisdictional Comparisons. Third ed. London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited. The European Lawyer Reference Series, 2012. 415-36. Print.
- “Not-for-Profits in Bankruptcy: Who Doesn’t Love a Charity?” BNA’s Bankruptcy Law Reporter, September 2011
- Boone, J. William, General Editor of Multinational Enterprise Liability in Insolvency Proceedings, The European Lawyer Reference Series, 2nd ed., September 2010
- “Secured Lending to Debtors; Portfolios and Possibilities” Lex Mundi, May 2006
- American Bankruptcy Institute, St. John’s University, New York (Bankruptcy Mediation Training 2016)
- Mercer University (J.D. cum laude 1977)
- Wake Forest University (B. A. cum laude 1974)
- Georgia, 1977
- District of Columbia, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2003
- New York, 2008
- Represented financial institutions and other types of secured creditors in all aspects of chapter 7, 13, and 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented telecommunications company as a creditor in Sec. 363 sale of assets.
- Represented debtor to reorganize company in the healthcare industry.
- Represented community hospital in restructuring bond indebtedness.
- Represented real estate development company in Chapter 11 restructuring resulting in full payout of all creditors.
- Represented manufacturing company in Chapter 11 restructuring resulting in the successful Sec. 363 sale of assets.
- Represented major financial institutions in their capacity as trustee for securitized transactions in over 20 Chapter 11 cases in Delaware, New York, California and Florida.
- Represented a major financial institution as agent for participating lenders in $200-plus million loan in a Texas-based Chapter 11 of a large retirement home community with nine wholly owned operating subsidiaries.
- Represented a German company in the successful purchase of patents from a Chapter 11 debtor.
- Counseled a major German manufacturing company in a successful jury trial in Oregon of a fraudulent transfer action against a major U.S. company with Canadian and UK subsidiaries, which resulted in an award of over $1.3 billion, including punitive damages.
- Counseled a large American corporation in successfully pursuing claims arising out of the Italian bankruptcy filing of Parmalat.
- Counsel to a wireless phone service provider in its acquisition of over $1 billion in wireless spectrum from a debtor in the Southern District of New York.
- Counsel to major re-insurer in a bankruptcy in the Southern District of New York of a nationally known retailer involving claims of over $1 billion.
Administrative/Legal Assistant Contact
Name: Brenda Henderson
Title: Legal Assistant